How to Join
When the form is submitted you will then receive a code and a pin number.
To complete the joining process, and to receive your library card, please visit the library, bringing with you ID that shows your name and current address (eg driving licence, recent utility bill) and a note of the code.
Please Note that birth certificates and passports are not acceptable ID as they do not provide an address.
Children can join the library by having a parent join first by the above method. Then when the parent comes into the library with ID we can arrange membership for their child too.
What services can I use as soon as I have my Library Card?
- Borrow up to 20 books (including spoken word CDs or cassettes). Up to 6 DVDs or Videos and 6 Music CDs can be borrowed at any one time. The loan period for books and spoken word items is 21 days, and seven days or until the next time the library is open for music CDs, videos and DVDs.
- Search, order, renew and manage your account.
- Access computers and the internet. All Gloucestershire Community & County Council libraries have computers with free internet access and Microsoft Office software.You can book time on a library Public Access Computer on-line.
- Learn in libraries; and do online training courses at your local library.
- Borrow items from any Gloucestershire library
Get to Berkeley Books (Location) and find about more about facilities, activities and items for loan.
I have a friend/relative visiting Gloucestershire can this person use Berkeley Books?
If they have with them a valid library card from any other library service in England, Wales or Northern Ireland we will sign you in as a visitor. Your ‘home’ library card acts as your guarantee to us.
Visitors can also use library computers without joining the library.
Manage Your Borrowing
You can reserve any Gloucestershire County catalogue item i.e. books, DVDs, CDs etc. online or by request at the library for local pick up. If the item has to come via Inter Library Loan from another Library Authority, the on line reservation service charges are:
- It is free to reserve items using the library online catalogue. If you ask staff to place the reservation on your behalf at a library you will be charged. If the book that you wish to reserve is owned by another Community Library, you will need to ask a Library Volunteer to ring up the owning library to request a temporary loan to Berkeley Books. This is likely to be granted unless the book is much in demand or rare and of particular relevance to the owning library. You will be informed when the book is in the library at which you were when you reserved it.
- Plus £2.70, if we supply the book by Inter-Library Loan
- Children are exempt from these charges
- Normal charges and concessions apply
Search the Library catalogue
TO BORROW A BOOK AT BERKELEY BOOKS YOU MUST PRODUCE YOUR GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY LIBRARY MEMBERSHIP CARD. Our librarians are not allowed to serve you without seeing you Membership Card first.
Browse over a million items on Gloucestershire’s library catalogue, from books and DVDs to spoken word cassettes and videos. In Berkeley Books, you will be able to search books that are in Berkeley Books, other Gloucestershire Community Libraries and and in Gloucestershire County (Main) Libraries. If you find that the book is not in the Gloucestershire catalogue, you can order any book and Gloucestershire County Library Services Staff will be able to put out requests for loan to all County and Community Libraries. Anyone can access the catalogue to browse, but if you want to order or renew an item or check your current loans and charges, you must be a member and have a library card. If you wish to reserve a book owned by another Community Library, you will need to ask a Library Volunteer to ring up the owning library to request a temporary loan to Berkeley Books. This is likely to be granted unless the book is much in demand or rare and of particular relevance to the owning library. You will be informed when the book is in the library at which you were when you reserved it.
Already a member
- Sign into the catalogue with your library card number to order and renew items or check your account.
- Update your membership details or request a PIN number
If you have lost or damaged your library card please visit any county library to request a replacement card.
- Renew online via the library catalogue. You will need your library card number and pin to log into your account.
- Renew your items by phoning Berkeley Library – 01453 810 520 in our opening hours.
- Renew at Berkeley library.
- Library members can reserve items free of chargethrough the online library catalogue or by visiting any Gloucestershire library (there is a charge at a library).
- We can request books from other library authorities for you using our inter-library loan service. Use the inter-library loan service to request a book that is not in the Gloucestershire Catalogue.
Make a suggestion
- Read a good book etc. and think the library should have a copy? Let us know – Suggest a book, CD or DVD
What we charge for
We will make a charge for DVDs and if you don’t return or renew your books on time. We also charge for some reservations and orders. Our Paying for library services page has all the details.
Search the catalogue before joining the library
If you don’t have a library card but want to use the catalogue, you can search the Gloucestershire Catalogue before you join.
What does membership give you
At any one time you can borrow up to
- 20 books (including spoken word CDs or cassettes) and
- 6 DVDs and Music CDs
The loan period for books and spoken word items is 21 days, and seven days or until the next time the library is open for Fastback books, music CDs, videos and DVDs.
For information regarding Internet usage and policies please se our dedicated page here